Socialize

Trump budget calls for mandatory E-Verify use by employers


Tuesday, June 20, 2017
By:
Print Print    Email Email

In his administration’s budget that it has sent to the White House, the Trump administration’s Fiscal Year 2018 Budget calls for mandating nationwide usage of the E-Verify system to reduce illegal employment. The system which is internet based, is currently voluntary except for those businesses that have government contracts. It compares information from an employee’s Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from DHS, the Social Security Administration, and State Department of Motor Vehicle records to confirm employment eligibility.

The budget for the Department of Homeland Security is $44.1 billion and in it the administration is calling for the expansion of “worksite enforcement strategies by mandating nationwide use of the E-Verify system.”

The Homeland Security FY 2018 Budget in Brief which can be accessed here, says in the overview section that the purpose of expanding E-Verify is “to support mandatory use of E-Verify nationwide within three years.”

In anticipation of the Trump move, Mark Schwartz of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) Chief Information Office, was quoted by a section of the media as saying they are “streamlining the (E-Verify) process and making it capable of scaling if we bring more employers” into the system. The system which is free to employers to use has 646,000 users.

$131.5 million of the $44.1 billion Homeland Security budget will go towards the E-Verify expansion.

However in a recent blog post on the CATO Institute’s website, Alex Nowrasteh, said mandating a nationwide use of E-Verify would cost the federal government $635 million from 2018 to 2023. Quoting the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) numbers Nowrasteh said “It would additionally impose $10 million in annual costs on state and local governments, as well as a minimum $200 million in costs to the private sector as employers struggle to verify millions of employees.”

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0

About Tom Gitaa

Tom is the President and Publisher of Mshale. As the founder, he did a lot of the reporting during the humble beginnings of the newspaper. While he still does the occasional reporting, he now concentrates on the publishing side of the news operation.Tom was also the original host of Talking Drum, the signature current affairs show on the African Broadcasting Network (ABN-America), which was available nationwide in the United States via the Dishnetwork satellite service. On the show, he interviewed Nobel laureates such as 2004 Nobel Peace prize winner, Professor Wangari Maathai, the first woman from Africa to win the peace prize and heads of states such as the president of  The Gambia, Yahya Jammeh at State House, Banjul. Tom has previously served in the board of directors of the Minnesota International Center (MIC), the sixth largest World Affairs Council in the United States. He has also previously served as President of the Board of Directors of Books for Africa, the largest shipper of donated books to Africa.

He sits on the board of the United Nations Association.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login